Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Movie for old people? I think not...

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel Poster

Film: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
Actors: Judi DenchTom WilkinsonBill NighyMaggie SmithDev Patel
Director: 

The last movie that I watched in theaters before I took up my movie challenge was The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. When I walked into the theater with a group of my friends, the seats were filled with mostly elderly couples. After seeing that, I thought maybe I made the wrong choice and I should have joined my other group of friends who were going to watch The Avengers for the third time. In the end, I decided to stay since it was based in India and I am an Indian so I thought I might actually enjoy it. That was a good decision on my part.

The movie is about a group of elderly British retirees who end up at the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel which is an old peoples home in India. It is about the stage in their life where they look back and reflect upon their life and also make changes as to who they are. To me, this was a very inspiring theme/message.

I enjoyed seeing India and it's beauty and how it was portrayed in the movie. India is a somewhat dirty country, but this movie was able to capture the true majesty of the country. They were able to find the glory in the landscape as well as the culture and portray it to the American population in a beautiful manner.

I love elderly people and my Grandfather actually lives with us (as per Indian custom) and so I truly enjoy spending time with him. Therefore, I really connected with this movie. I could not imagine having my Grandfather living alone at an old peoples home. Thus, I was really struck by the characters in the movie and what they were going through and was inspired by their stories. I also loved all the actors in the movie (particularly Judi Dench and Maggie Smith).

No comments:

Post a Comment